Are You Going Too Fast?Article by Liz Bywater, June 22, 2018
In today’s high velocity, always-on business climate, leaders like you are expected to make incredibly rapid decisions, work at a breakneck pace, and achieve exceptional results—all without losing a beat.
Fast, faster, faster yet. That’s the mandate from customers, peers, managers, business partners, boards, investors, and other key stakeholders. Yet no individual or organization can consistently deliver its best at such a frenetic pace… (Adapted from Slow Down to Speed Up: Lead, Succeed and Thrive in a 24/7 World.)
To truly thrive in 2018, you’ve got to know where to speed up and when to slow down. So ask yourself: Where do I (and my team) need to slow down… and what’s the cost of going too fast?
Take a brief pause to check your own speedometer…
Check Your Speedometer: A Diagnostic Tool
Rate each statement from 1 to 5.
1=Strongly Disagree (or Never)
3=Somewhat Agree (or Sometimes)
5=Strongly Agree (or Always)
- I set goals for the next month, quarter, and year (not just a daily to-do list).
- I have confidence that my team takes a proactive approach.
- I learn from mistakes and avoid repeating them.
- I can easily identify the people with the greatest influence on my success.
- I prioritize spending time with my key stakeholders.
- I make decisions deliberately and thoughtfully (not by default).
- I use past experiences to inform how I work in the present.
- I review my goals, aspirations, and vision on a regular basis.
- I can readily state my top priorities.
- I quickly delineate whether a task should be handled personally or delegated.
- I feel in control of my inbox; email is a tool, not a burden.
- I get adequate and restful sleep.
- I eat a nutritious diet.
- I can carve out time to catch my breath and think strategically during my work day.
- I fully leverage my top skills and talents.
Total Score _____
Remember, this tool can be used on an individual, team, or organizational basis. Bring it to your team. Have them bring it to theirs. It’ll give you a quick read on how fast you’re going and whether you need to slow down to speed up!
I’ll be publishing the score key in my next newsletter. If you don’t want to wait, just send me an email to learn about your score.