How to Keep Your Team EngagedArticle by Lisa Anderson, October 9, 2019
Every client is concerned about how to engage the team. Some executives are thinking about how to ‘keep good people’, others are thinking about how to enable ‘smart people to share what they know’, and still others know they need engagement to ensure customers are happy and bottom line business results occur.
According to Gallup, there is some positive news in that engagement is on the rise and is at an all-time high of 34%. With that said, there is such a long way to go to fully leverage already existing assets – our people! Time and again, the most successful companies actively engage employees in their work. The actively disengaged is down to 13% while ‘not engaged’ is 53%.
A few ideas to consider:
- Tie each person’s work to the result (for the company, customer etc.) – Wouldn’t you like to know WHY you are doing something?
- Take each employees’ ideas into consideration – Simply asking can go a long way if you truly care about the answer.
- Don’t treat each employee the same – don’t we each have different goals and interests?
- Are you developing your employees? – a little investment into your employees can go a long way.
- Do you address poor performers? – one of the biggest issues we see if letting poor performers carry on. Everyone knows it and is less motivated. Why not just proactively address? Provide an opportunity and swiftly address if necessary.