Six steps for building a strong brandArticle by Erik Pelton, September 4, 2018
A business that follows these six steps will be on its way to having a strong brand.
- Choose a great name – start with a strong foundation, a name that is creative in the industry
- Clearance search – conduct a proper and thorough search before committing to the name.
- Apply to register at the USPTO – apply for trademark registration as early as possible.
- Market and use brand prominently – use the brand in a manner that stands apart from other text and wording; use the proper trademark symbol: SM, TM, or ®.
- Enforce when necessary – enforce trademark rights against infringers.
- Properly maintain USPTO registration – docket renewal deadlines and ensure that registrations are renewed; lapse create unnecessary expenses and risks.