The Talent Shortage – What to Do…Article by Lisa Anderson, August 23, 2018
In every conference and almost every conversation with a CEO or GM, the talent shortage arises.
It is on our minds! At the E-Commerce and Logistics summit, it was a consistent theme from our panel “Freight, Frictions and the Future” and it arose with each keynote speaker (President of Package Operations for UPS, Director of Worldwide Public Relations for Amazon, and an SVP at Colliers International).
Several of the issues that arose in context of the summit include:
- Lack of drivers (and lack of understanding what drivers have to go through!)
- Lack of high-tech skills
- Lack of understanding the value of the jobs provided by logistics.
- Shortage of resources across-the-board
If you want to thrive in this environment, strongly consider:
- Your leaders – people work for people; not companies.
- What your employees think of you – everyone in their circle or on social media will know. Is your company attractive?
- Your brand – it is what will attract people to you.
- How you stand above the crowd – would you want to work for you?
Attracting good talent is a competition. Are you ready?Tags: Amazon, employees, environment, high-tech skills, logistics, Southern California E-Commerce & Logistics Summit, talent, UPS